According to Emerald Animal Clinic, chocolate toxicity is “biggest concern for pets.” While we are tempted to share our sweet delights with our sweet four-legged family members, it is not a good idea.
Chocolate toxicity can result in vomiting, diarrhea, and even death.
When in doubt, call your vet immediately. You may be advised to induce vomiting so your pet can purge the poison. One tablespoon of peroxide every five minutes is often the initial suggested treatment. If this does not work, medication-induced vomiting may be the next necessary intervention.
It’s also important to watch pets to be sure they do not ingest candy wrappers. They can cause intestinal blockages which may require surgery for removal.
Enjoy the ghosts, ghouls, and goblins--but don’t let your pets eat out of your trick or treat bag!