Many have used hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting in dogs, but that choice is not without risks. It works by creating mouth irritation as well as in the stomach and esophagus. Results can include continued vomiting or decreased appetite. When this happens, the patient is often treated with antacids and stomach protectants until the gut has an opportunity to heal.
In some cases, however, the side effects can advance to severe gastritis, stomach inflammation, ulceration, and even death from internal bleeding due to toxicity. It can also cause gas emboli which is an air clot in the vessels.
There are many safer alternatives to using hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Vets often recommend and prescribe apomorphine via an IV. Or, a small tablet can be placed under the lower eyelid to absorption.
If your dog has ingested something toxic, it is typically best to bring the pet immediately to a vet. If your dog has ingested rat poisoning or something else similarly toxic, then using hydrogen peroxide would be better in most cases than allowing the toxin to be absorbed.
If you must us it, remember that you should never use hydrogen peroxide that is more concentrated than three percent. The dose of three percent hydrogen peroxide is one milliliter per pound of dog. For example, a twenty- pound dog would get twenty milliliters or about four teaspoons.
Not all dogs will vomit when given hydrogen peroxide. And it should NOT be given to cats.
The best course of action if you think your dog has ingested something toxic is to IMMEDIATEY call the Pet Poison Hotline: 1-855-764-7661. Then contact your vet as quickly as possible.