National Pet Suffocation Awareness Week is from 11/25-12/1/18. So, this topic is not only timely, but very important.
Your pet can be endangered by an item everyone has in their homes: a potato chip, cereal, treat, or trash bag. This common household hazard should be properly stored or discarded. Most people are not even aware of this harm until after having a horrific loss experience.
It’s a fact: ninety percent of those who lost a pet did not know about this danger until it happened to them. Tell your family, neighbors, and friends about this serious threat. Please!
Statistics reveal that three to five pet suffocations are reported weekly and forty-two percent of them occur while the pet owner is in the next room. It only takes about three minutes for a pet’s oxygen level to drop to fatal levels.
The story of Petey, a Pitti pup who died from suffocation, was recently on the Today Show, and while the program increased awareness, it’s important to continue to alert pet owners about this matter of utmost importance.
To avoid the heartbreak, devastation, and guilt from this type of loss, be and stay aware. Tell others who own pets and ask each of them to tell at least two more people. You may save many lives and the pain of mourning a loved one.
Source: Messenger, September 2018