Animal Poison Control Hotline 888-426-4435
- Chocolate is great for us and unfortunately lots of our dogs love it too! However, the higher cocoa content in recent years in chocolate makes this dessert even more toxic than in previous years. If your dog ingests chocolate, be sure to consult your vet or the Poison Control Hotline immediately. Always have the package information to give the vet.
- Pine sap may upset your dog’s gastrointestinal tract if he/she drinks from the reservoir of a live tree especially because there may be bacterial contamination in the water. The delicate ornaments may also easily break and be ingested by your four- legged friend. It is best to deter your animal from being near the tree.
- All batteries, if ingested, may be toxic to your dog and even deadly. Store them completely out of reach of your pet.
- Poinsettias plants mostly irritate the mouth and gums if ingested. But it is still a good idea to deter your pet from chewing on these seasonal plants.
- Be very cautious if you enhance your eggnog with alcohol as it may cause vomiting. But, it is absorbed quickly.
- Cats may love the warmth from real candles so keep them safely out of reach of your cat and dog to protect them and your home.
- Holly, mistletoe, and lilies tempt our pets but may be toxic--specially to cats; keep them out of the home. It is wise to use artificial holiday plants, or cat grass, or catnip!
- Medications belonging to you and your house guests-- in addition to winter flu/cold medication may be very dangerous, even fatal, to your pets. Ask guests to keep a list of their medications including the dosage strength, as well as the number of tablets/capsules. Provide a safe, remote place to store them while in your home.
Sources: ASPCA pro.org/resource/shelter-health-poison-control and Petco tips